Anemia is one of the most common medical problems, affecting about 5% of the world's population and one third of all hospitalized patients. In most cases, the causes of anemia are blood loss and malnutrition, anemia but may be a consequence of other diseases: malignant tumors, chronic infections, arthritis, renal diseases and hereditary diseases.
The clinics conducted a thorough examination in order to determine the exact cause of the disease, since it depends on the tactics of treatment of anemia in Israel.
With the help of modern equipment in the medical center "Assuta" conducted a series of blood tests that make it possible not only to assess the extent of the disease, but also to identify its causes. Over the last decade, thanks to the research work of Israeli physicians, new knowledge about how the body controls the absorption and distribution of iron. This information has been successfully used to obtain a more accurate picture of the disease.
In some cases, in addition to the blood test may need a bone marrow examination. In the treatment of anemia in Israel puncture carried out by experts with extensive experience, so the patient risks are minimized.
How to carry out the treatment of anemia in Israel?
Your health care provider will determine whether the anemia is caused by poor nutrition or a more serious health problem. Then you can be treated like anemia, as well as on its cause. Iron deficiency anemia is treated with:
- Iron supplements taken preroralno.
- Food enriched food with a high iron content.
- iron preparations are administered intravenously.
Who more likely to develop iron deficiency anemia?
A common cause of anemia is a low level of iron in the body. This type of anemia called pernicious anemia. Your body needs iron to produce hemoglobin.
Iron deficiency anemia can occur in any person at higher risk in the following groups:
- Women: the blood loss during menstruation or abnormal labor may lead to anemia.
- Children aged 1 to 2 years: during the active growing body needs more iron.
- Infants: may get less iron, when they are weaned from breast milk or baby food and transferred to solid food. Iron from solid foods difficult to digest by the body.
- People over 65 years old: they are more prone to food with low iron content.
- People taking blood thinners: aspirin, Plavix, kumadin® or heparin.
How is anemia of chronic disease in Israel?
Treatment of the underlying disease is the first step to treating most forms of anemia of chronic disease. In many cases, the treatment of these diseases and relieve the patient's anemia. However, this strategy may not work with anemia caused by cancer and chronic kidney disease. In these cases, additional treatment:
- Blood transfusion. It may be used when particularly severe anemia (hemoglobin <8.0 g / dl). Blood transfusion is not used as a long-term therapy because of the risks, such as iron overload and potential side effects of the immune system.
- Intravenous or subcutaneous administration of the synthetic hormone erythropoietin kidney (EPO) If you receive EPO therapy, your hemoglobin level is tested every few weeks to adjust the dosage. The goal of therapy is to increase hemoglobin levels to 110-125 g / l. Therapy is conducted under the control of blood pressure.
Is it possible to prevent anemia of chronic disease?
prevent anemia of chronic disease is impossible, but you can help your body by making some changes to your eating habits. You must make sure you get enough iron, folic acid and vitamin B-12. Your menu should include chicken or turkey, beans, spinach, fortified breakfast cereals and fortified breads.
Treatment for aplastic anemia in Israel
This is a rare but extremely serious disease that occurs as a result of the fact that the bone marrow loses its ability to produce red blood cells. The diagnosis of aplastic anemia begins with a blood test.
Symptoms occur when the hemoglobin falls to dangerously low levels.
Patients with severe aplastic anemia require immediate inpatient treatment. Treatment for aplastic anemia in Israel are treated in the following ways:
- Blood transfusion. Because anemia itself is not an emergency situation, transfusion of red blood cells is usually carried out only in case of emergency.
- Antibiotics. Due to its extremely short lifespan white cells can not be effectively replaced by transfusion. Consequently, the control of the infection depends on the timely, appropriate intravenous antibiotics as soon as a fever or other signs of infection.
- Insulation. To prevent the transmission of infection in patients with aplastic anemia, they often must be isolated even from healthy people. Visitors are advised to wear a gauze mask and gown, and wash hands thoroughly before touching the patient.
- Activity limitation. Activity aplastichnoy patients with anemia should be limited to prevent falls or accidents that can cause bleeding, and reduce contact with others.
- bone marrow transplantation. At present, bone marrow transplantation is increasingly used in the treatment of patients with aplastic anemia in Israel. Donors can bone marrow could be identical twins, brothers or sisters. If the patient does not have a matching donor in the family, you can spend it in search of the existing registers of bone marrow donors.
At impossibility of bone marrow transplant used other forms of therapy:
- Drug therapy. Drugs that help fight with aplastic anemia, with all the perfect get every year.
- Immunosuppressive therapy works with the patient's immune system. One theory of aplastic anemias states that the patient's immune system combats own body, thereby preventing the generation of erythrocytes. It is believed drugs used in immunosuppressive therapy act by stimulating bone marrow cells to develop, or by reducing the patient's immune response and thus allow the bone marrow to operate normally.
Therapy is conducted following medications:
- Anti-thymocyte globulin.
- Anti-lymphocyte globulin.
As anemia is diagnosed in Israel?
To determine the presence of anemia, your doctor will prescribe a blood test for hemoglobin. Normal hemoglobin is 12,3-15,3 g / dL for adult women and 14-17,5 g / dl for adult males. Reduced hemoglobin in the blood indicates anemia. Furthermore, blood tests for anemia show low reticulocyte count (reticulocytes - immature erythrocytes); low total iron binding capacity; High serum ferritin levels; increase in erythrocyte sedimentation rate. Blood test for hemoglobin can be used to screen for anemia and other blood diseases, and to monitor progress during treatment of anemia in Israel. However, this analysis is impossible to determine what caused the abnormal hemoglobin level -for this requires more research In particular, if your hemoglobin level is less than 10 g / dl, will be appointed as a blood test for levels of erythropoietin (EPO) - a hormone that is produced by the kidneys. The results of this analysis can confirm the diagnosis of "anemia", and to determine its severity and its cause. If necessary, a bone marrow biopsy is performed. The increased iron stores in the bone marrow, in addition to a low level of iron in the serum, indicate the anemia of chronic disease can also be performed. Bone marrow biopsies performed on an outpatient basis under local anesthesia or mild sedation and comprises collecting a bone marrow sample by introducing a needle into the pelvis.
There are over 400 different types of anemia, each of which is driven by one of the following factors:
- The body can not produce enough hemoglobin.
- The body makes hemoglobin, hemoglobin, but not working properly.
- The body does not produce enough red blood cells.
- Red blood cells are destroyed too quickly.
In the article a closer look at iron deficiency anemia, anemia of chronic disease, and aplastic anemia.
Why hemoglobin may be low?
There are many disorders that lead to low hemoglobin levels or anemia, including:
- Iron deficiency, which is almost always caused by blood loss - internal or external as a result of surgery, injury, menstrual bleeding or bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract.
- The deficit of other nutrients, such as vitamin B12 or folic acid.
- Thalassemia, sickle cell anemia - a common inherited blood disorders caused by genetic mutations in the hemoglobin genes;
- kidney disease.
- Autoimmune diseases.
What are the symptoms of anemia?
For all types of anemia, characterized by the following symptoms:
- Feeling tired.
- Inconsistent breath.
- Cold extremities.
- Pale skin.
for the treatment of blood diseases Specialists
- Professor Ofer Spielberg - a prominent specialist in the treatment of blood disorders with more than 20 years of experience. His merits are recognized not only in Israel, but throughout the world. 91% of patients suffering from blood diseases recovered fully achieved or sustained remission. Coma, the professor specializing in bone marrow transplantation.
- Odelia Gur - one of the best oncohematology Israel with 15 years experience. The doctor in the treatment of their patients using the latest medical advances. She successfully being treated people from all over the world. They are all thankful that at a crucial moment of his life into the hands of high-class professional.
- Dr. Sigal Tavor - hematologist-oncologist, clinical experience which takes the count from 1989. The doctor is known as a unique diagnostic. Based on a comprehensive analysis of the study for each patient it is individually treatment program.
- Professor Naparstek Ella - hematologist with over 40 years of experience of work. An intern in the best clinics in the US, is actively cooperating with foreign counterparts. In the treatment of patients apply new methods.