Treatment of sunlight (heliotherapy) was used in ancient Greece, India and Egypt. Aesculapius antiquity used the photosensitizing properties of some plants, combined with exposure to sunlight for the treatment of skin diseases.
In the seventies of the last century, photodynamic therapy has been used by dermatologists for the treatment of tuberculosis of the skin. To date, the clinics of Israel, this technique is used in the treatment of psoriasis, dermatitis, nonhealing wounds, keratosis and other skin disorders.
Indications to PDT:
- staphylococcal infection, herpes;
- Ent disease, stomatitis;
- Urological Pathology (prostatitis, BPH);
- post-operative and post-traumatic hypertrophic scars, keloids;
- fibroadenoma, nevi, hemangioma;
- psoriasis, eczema, dermatoses;
- Angioma, candidiasis, kraurosis, leukoplakia;
- multiple sclerosis, arthritis, arthrosis, scleroderma;
- herniated discs, osteohondropatija;
- hepatitis C;
- trophic ulcers, nonhealing infected wounds;
- ischemia of various organs.
Contraindications to the use of photodynamic therapy:
- allergy to porphyrins (photosensitizers);
- increased skin sensitivity to radiation;
- and pigmentary form skleropodobnaya basal cell carcinoma;
Photodynamic therapy in gynecology
This type of treatment is one of the key in the treatment of gynecological diseases:
- atypical endometrial hyperplasia;
- leukoplakia of the vulva;
- uterine fibroids;
- cervical erosion;
- uterine cancer;
- vaginal diseases, vulva, cervix, on the background of the human papilloma virus and other pathologies.
Photodynamic therapy in gynecology is a radical and gentle method of treatment in the clinic Assuta . Its use does not lead to scar formation, it preserves the anatomical and functional integrity of the cervix and the architecture of the cervical canal, which is important for the young and nulliparous women.
PDT does not cause the development of various complications:
- scar cervical strain;
- cervical stenosis;
- exacerbation of chronic salpingoophoritis;
- reproductive disorders;
- Development of endometriosis;
- reduce fertility levels.
By the absolute advantages of the method include: a gentle nature of the treatment, high efficiency and selectivity, absence of complications, easily portable, ambulatory conduct, a single procedure.
Photodynamic Therapy in Oncology
For many years, scientists around the world are searching for gentle treatment of malignant tumors. It made a huge amount of clinical studies on the use of photodynamic therapy in the treatment of cancer. Scientists have shown that oxygen radicals destroy the internal structure of the tumor cells and damage the blood vessels feeding the tumor. The integrity of healthy tissue is not affected.
To date, thousands of patients with malignant tumors were successfully treated in Israel.
Photodynamic therapy in Israel is used as a palliative and additional treatment.
As the main method of PDT is assigned only in the early stages of malignancy.
The indications for photodynamic therapy in oncology:
- esophageal cancer (obstructive, in the initial stage, recurrent);
- endobronchial cancer;
- breast cancer;
- skin cancer, melanoma;
- bladder cancer (superficial);
- lung cancer (certain forms);
- mucous cancer;
- gastric cancer (superficial forms).
In the later stages of exposure to light is used as maintenance therapy for inoperable patients. If there are common unresectable tumors airway constrictive, rectum and colon, esophageal, gastric cardia PDT designated as palliative treatment, eliminating the phenomena of ileus, dysphagia or respiratory failure. Photodynamic therapy is also combined with chemotherapy and radiation.
The method of PDT
The patient was intravenously administered photosensitizer solution. For accumulation of photosensitive agent in the tumor tissues at a specific time from a few hours to several days. Then the tumor is irradiated with a laser or other source, generating the required wavelength. Irradiation has an effect only on tissue that "impregnated" photosensitizing agent. Sensitizer molecule strongly absorb light quanta. Runs photochemical reaction, in which process produced highly active radicals that cause necrosis of the cancer cell. This type of treatment affects tumor microvessels, destroying its power and growth.
Prostate Cancer Photodynamic therapy
The Weizmann Institute (Israel) has developed a method of photodynamic therapy of vascular directed action (Vascular Targeted Photodynamic Therapy - VTP) in collaboration with STEBA Biotech NV (Netherlands). This technique is used to treat prostate cancer.
This approach is based on the use of photosynthesis processes. Patient intravenously administered drug based on chlorophyll. Once in the blood, it moves and concentrates in the tumor. After that, the prostate under local anesthesia is administered finest fiber under ultrasound guidance. Then, through the optical fiber is irradiated with infrared rays tumor. Under the influence of light starts chlorophyll photochemical reactions leading to rapid blockage of the vessels feeding the malignancy.
Esophageal Cancer Photodynamic therapy
Photodynamic therapy is also prescribed for the treatment of esophageal tumors. This also applies to precancerous lesions - Barrett's esophagus.
Treatment is carried out in two stages. Intravenously administered a photosensitizing drug to a patient, which rapidly accumulate in malignant cells. After a couple of days, tumor irradiation is performed a special laser. For this purpose, a thin endoscope used with a laser emitting at the head end. Photosensitized cells are destroyed.
Side effects of photodynamic therapy:
- Inflammation in the tissues, local swelling, feeling of weakness, chills. If it is cancer of the esophagus, it may cause discomfort, nausea, vomiting, fever, constipation. To eliminate signs data received painkillers and other drugs.
- Increased photosensitivity, which may last for four weeks. It indications: intolerance of bright light, skin sensitivity to radiation. Therefore recommend avoiding direct exposure to sunlight and bright light - use sunglasses.
The advantages of photodynamic therapy in Israel :
- locality and selectivity of action;
- no serious complications;
- cosmetic effect;
- well tolerated;
- Minimally invasive;
- possibility of older patients and patients with severe concomitant diseases.