Chemotherapy uses anti-cancer drugs that are administered intravenously or orally. These drugs enter the bloodstream and spread throughout the body, making this method is effective in the treatment of advanced stages of cancer.
There are a number of destination choices of chemotherapy in cancer of the larynx in the Assuta.
- This method is often administered as a primary in the late stages of cancer in combination with irradiation. Otherwise, it is called chemoradiation, which allows some patients to avoidlaryngectomy and retain the ability to speak.
- Chemotherapy for cancer of the throat is used after surgery as adjuvant therapy to eliminate any remaining cancer cells and reduce the risk of recurrence.
- In some cases, it is carried out to relieve the symptoms of cancer, when the tumor is too large, or the malignant cells spread throughout the body, so no way to remove them surgically.
Traditional chemotherapy laryngeal cancer in Israel
Action of standard chemotherapy drugs is that they attack rapidly dividing cells. Whenthe treatment of laryngeal cancer in Israel, most of these drugs are used: cisplatin, carboplatin, 5-FU (5-fluorouracil), docetaxel (Taxotere), paclitaxel (Taxol), bleomycin, methotrexate, and phosphamide.
The treatment involves administering one drug or a combination thereof. In general schemes, usually with cisplatin is 5-FU and cisplatin, docetaxel and 5-FU. Sometimes chemotherapy administered with targeted therapy cetuximab.
This type of treatment cycles carried out where to rest phase for recovery of therapeutic phase. the cycle time of a few weeks.
Chemoradiotherapy in Assuta
This type of therapy involves radiation and chemotherapy conduct of throat cancer at the same time. It is prescribed, when there is a need to reduce the tumor, and the result will be higher than for a single treatment. It can be applied in the following cases.
- Chemoradiation therapy may be the main treatment instead of operation with certain types of tumors of the larynx. If the cancer completely disappears, there is no need for any other treatment. But if the tumor is still present, the operation can be recommended.
- Chemoradiotherapy may be administered after surgery to try to reduce the risk of cancer returning. It is recommended when the cancer cells are found on the edges of the resected specimen during operation or have any symptoms that indicate an increased risk of relapse.
Usual treatment scheme is as follows: the dose of cisplatin - every three weeks (for a total of 3 doses) during irradiation. If there are contraindications for chemoradiotherapy, targeted therapy cetuximab is often prescribed in combination with irradiation.
Possible side effects of chemotherapy laryngeal cancer
Chemotherapy drugs are struggling with the cells, which are characterized by rapid division. That is why they are so active against cancer cells. However, in the human body have healthy cells that divide quickly, too. These are the cells of organs such as the intestine, bone marrow, the mucous membrane of the mouth, hair. Therefore, chemotherapy is also able to affect them, worsening health.
Adverse events will be determined by the particular drugs, their dose and duration of treatment. Common adverse effects of therapy include nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, oral ulcers, diarrhea, hair loss, increased risk of infections due to deficiency of white blood cells, due to low levels of platelets - bleeding or bruising; shortness of breath and fatigue caused by low red blood cell counts.
Several chemotherapeutic drugs can trigger other side effects. For example, cisplatin, docetaxel and paclitaxel can cause nerve damage, or neuropathy, whose symptoms include numbness, tingling, or even pain in the hands and feet. Neuropathy, provoked by cisplatin, can also cause hearing loss. Often, it is stopped after completion of treatment, but some people have retained long enough.
Although the majority of reverse chemotherapy events held as soon as treatment is stopped, some of them can persist for a long time or even acquire a permanent character. Assuta Hospital doctors before starting treatment with the patient to discuss the possible side effects. During working chemotherapy, throat cancer for They are watching the Emergence of Adverse effects of treatment. There are different ways to prevent or treat them. For example, many drugs can prevent or treat nausea and vomiting.