Multiple sclerosis (MS) - an autoimmune disease in which the body's own immune system mistakenly attacks normal body tissues. In MS, these attacks are aimed at the myelin - the fatty covering of nerves that helps in the transmission of nerve impulses between the brain and the rest of the body.
- Israel clinics are among the best in the world for the treatment of multiple sclerosis.
- MS refers to diseases which accurate diagnosis difficult. Current clinical equipment, experience and professionalism of the Israeli doctors allow us to establish the correct diagnosis, to identify the extent of the disease, and therefore to appoint the most appropriate treatment.
- The course of treatment for multiple sclerosis patients in Israel appointed strictly individually.
- The team of specialists working with the patient, be sure to have an assistant and translator.
- An important role in the treatment of multiple sclerosis in Israel plays a rehabilitation treatment at the unique Dead Sea resorts.
Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis in Israel
At the first visit, patients usually meet with the neurologist. The attending physician will ask about symptoms, examine the history of the disease, check the functioning of the nervous system - reflexes, balance, coordination, vision, numbness determine zone. The patient then occurs with the rest of professionals command that assigns treatment problems caused by RS - eg constipation, bladder disease, etc ...
In addition, your doctor may prescribe the following tests and studies:
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or CT (computed tomography), which show the detailed brain and spinal cord images.
- Tests for measuring the speed and precision of response of the central nervous system to electrical stimulation.
- Lumbar puncture - the spine using a thin needle to take study cerebrospinal fluid to test which checks for signs of disease in cerebrospinal fluid.
How is the treatment of multiple sclerosis in Israel?
Multiple sclerosis can not be completely cured, but in Israel's hospitals to help cope with the unpleasant symptoms of the disease, monitor disease progression, as well as special types of therapy will be taught to cope with daily activities. additional meetings with a physiotherapist, psychologist or social worker may be assigned as needed. At the request of the patient, it can take part in clinical trials of new treatments or new drugs.
Experts included in the team, dealing with individual patients, regularly discuss how effective prescribed treatment and if necessary, make adjustments.
Drug treatment of multiple sclerosis in Israel
- Prescribe drugs that can reduce the frequency and severity of MS episodes or relapses. They can also control the growth of lesions (damage to the nerve fibers) and reduce symptoms. Injection drug use such as interferon beta-1a; interferon beta-1b glatiramer acetate; PEGylated interferon beta-1a. Infusion: alemtuzumab, mitoxantrone, natalizumab ocrelizumab. The tablets can be administered teriflunomide, fingolimod, dimethyl fumarate.
- Corticosteroids (methylprednisolone (iv) and prednisone (po) prescribed to treat relapses which feature in MS are inflammatory processes.
- If corticosteroids do not provide relief from relapses, there are other methods of treatment. They may include:
- ACTH (Acthar Gel) - is intramuscular or subcutaneous injection, "forcing" the adrenal cortex to secrete hormones cortisol, corticosterone and aldosterone, which reduce the level of inflammation in the body.
- Plasmapheresis: the process comprises removing the whole blood from the patient's body and filtering it to remove antibodies that can attack the nervous system. "Purified" blood is then returned to you as a blood transfusion.
- Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG): This procedure is an injection that helps strengthen the immune system.
Adjunctive treatment of multiple sclerosis in Israel
Furthermore a method of medical treatment of MS should include:
- Healthy lifestyle. It is extremely important that the patient exercise regularly; I eat right; spill.
- Physiotherapy. exercise program can help regain control of muscles after heavy attacks.
- Occupational therapy. This type of therapy can help the patient to remain independent as long as possible. Professional staff can, for example, teach you new ways to dress, cook, drive and so on.
- Speech therapy. This therapy is intended for patients with MS who have difficulty speaking due to muscle weakness and lack of coordination. Speech therapy with physician communication can help to improve communication skills.
- Psychotherapy. Individual and group therapy can help people with MS and their families to cope with depression, anxiety, and physical limitations caused by MS.
- Cognitive rehabilitation. cognitive rehabilitation program can help a patient with MS in setting realistic goals and learn how to compensate for the problems associated with memory, concentration and organization, which will continue to function more effectively at work and / or at home.
Doctors who specialize in the treatment of multiple sclerosis in Israel
- Tatyana Vander - a leading neurologist in Israel with more than 25 years of experience. Its author's development in the field of physiotherapy, rehabilitation programs and innovative techniques in the treatment of multiple sclerosis are popular in clinics around the world.
- Professor Vivian Drori - with more than 30 years of experience in the field of neurology. It enjoys well-deserved recognition in many clinics around the world. The professor is the Israel Neurological Society. Famous for accurate diagnosis
Classification of multiple sclerosis
An international group of experts in 1999, has developed a classification of the PC, which today is used by most neurologists:
- Relapsing remitting.
- Secondary progressive.
- Progressive recurrence.
Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
MS symptoms arise due to lack of communication between nerve cells throughout the body of the patient. Therefore, the wide range of symptoms and their set every patient his. There are people who have MS as gently shown that they do not even know about the presence of the disease. Most often, multiple sclerosis symptoms include numbness or tingling in different parts of the body, weakness of one or more parts of the body, difficulty walking, dizziness, fatigue, blurred vision. Also possible the following violations:
- Problems with bowel / bladder.
- Poor coordination.
- Thermal sensitivity.
- Emotional changes.
- Cognitive changes.