Lumpectomy - a surgery to remove breast portion, wherein the progressing tumor cells. It is a form of organ operations, ie as a result of surgical intervention is maintained as far as possible, the size and shape of the breast. After a lumpectomy performed radiotherapy (5-7 sessions). The treatment with ionizing radiation after an operation is necessary for preventing the recurrence of the disease and for the complete removal of cancer cells in breast tissue.
Modern research has shown that the effectiveness of lumpectomy with radiation therapy, is no less a mastectomy. To do this, most patients undergo radiation for 5-7 weeks after surgery to kill cancer cells that may remain in the tissues. Sometimes radiation therapy is used tochemotherapy .
In 2002, the "Journal of Medicine New England" The study was published, which prove that the health of women with small malignant tumors (4 cm), removed by means of a lumpectomy combined with radiation therapy, is no different from that of patients health, which suffered a mastectomy 20 years later.
Lumpectomy breast cancer: indications and contraindications
oncologists in clinic Assutais determined by the individual characteristics of each patient, is it possible to conduct breast-conserving surgery or mastectomy should be preferred. Basically performing a lumpectomy is possible if:
- The patient found the cancer in the initial stages
- The size of the tumor is small.
Contraindications to breast lumpectomy are:
- Large amount of cancer cells affected tissue with a small breast size.
- Previously the patient ill of The oncology and took a course the radiotherapy of breast. You can not use ionizing radiation in the same area of the body twice.
- The number of malignant lesions greater than two.
- Localization of tumors around the nipple.
- The presence metostaz.
- Patients are autoimmune (system) disease.
Carrying lumpectomy clinic Assuta
Patients undergoing diagnosis of breast cancer in Israel and full briefing by your doctor. On the day of surgery the patient is dressed in a hospital gown and sent to the pre-operative room. In that case, if the tumor is not visible, or it can not be felt before the operation, the surgeon determines the affected area using mammography or ultrasound. After he or nurse can make a note of the chest area where the incision will be carried out.
Next, the patient is transferred to anestezionny hall. Operation can be performed under general anesthesia and local anesthesia in which the patient is fully conscious.
During the operation,
Normally, surgery to remove the cancerous tumor takes from 15 to 40 minutes. The doctor makes an incision in the tissue form the electric arc special scalpel (electrocautery knife), the use of which allows to reduce the bleeding due to the effect of cauterization. Next, he removes the damaged area with the surrounding healthy tissues. Samples are taken to further elucidate the presence or absence of malignant cells.
In the treatment of breast lumpectomy Israel uses a unique technique - Margin Probe, which can reduce the number of relapses in patients 1.5. During the operation, a special device scanner conducts a diagnostic examination and determine the presence of tumor cells at the wound edges, thus giving specific signals.
Sometimes to eliminate excess fluid (seroma) from a place where there used to be a tumor, using a rubber tube - drainage, which is inserted into the breast area or armpit. At the end of the surgeon sutured the incision.
After breast lumpectomy
Of operating a patient is transferred to the recovery room, where nurses measures body temperature, blood pressure and pulse. Depending on the nature of the disease and of the surgery the patient is kept under observation for 1-2 days. Radiation therapy is usually given after a few weeks after a lumpectomy.
Next, the physician must conduct a detailed briefing on several issues:
- Preparation of analgesic drugs. They can give directly in the recovery room and most likely, the doctor will write a prescription for them. These medications should be taken and after hospital discharge.
- Wearing a bandage on the operated breast portion. The surgeon should explain the basic rules of wearing and caring for a bandage. Perhaps the doctor tell you to wait until the next administration, when he will be able to remove it.
- If the patient established a surgical drainage tube into the chest or armpits, it must be removed before a woman will be discharged. But sometimes you need to wait 1-2 weeks before the first dose. It is important in this case to receive detailed instructions.
- Physical exercise. Prescribed number of daily exercise, which must be followed to prevent the likely numb arm and shoulder on the side where the surgery was performed. Usually they begin to carry out the next morning after a lumpectomy. Patients with drainage should avoid some of them. The doctor usually provides not only instruction in writing, but also illustrated materials.
- Recognizing early signs of infection.
The risks and side effects after surgery
Breast lumpectomy surgery and is, of course, could have complications and side effects:
- Post-operative pain.
- The transient increase in mammary gland.
- Insensitivity chest portion.
- Changing the size and appearance of the breast, especially in those cases where a large portion of the damaged tissue has been removed.