After surgery a colostomypatient for several days stays in the clinic. To it can be attached a number of different devices, they are removed after the patient is recovered:
- Drip providing fluid flow in the body.
- A catheter to drain urine.
- Oxygen mask or nasal oxygen cannula, facilitating the process of breathing.
Colostomy bags attached to the stoma, a special sealed bag. It is usually larger than the standard. He was later replaced by a smaller, before discharge.
During hospitalization nurse at the clinic Assuta will teach how to care for a stoma, how to keep skin clean and avoid irritation, advise on the process of emptying and changing bags. Colostomy bags are waterproof, so you can swim with them.
After 3-10 days after surgery colostomy patient can leave the hospital.
During this period, it is important to avoid a tedious task that will give the load of the abdominal cavity. Assuta Hospital medical staff will inform as to return to such activities.
In the first few weeks after surgery colostomy excessive flatulence may occur, as well as unpredictable excretion. However, the condition will improve when the intestines to recover from the surgery.
Closure of colostomy
If a temporary stoma, will need surgery to close it. She made only when the patient's health was restored, he recovered from the effects of the formation of colostomy. Usually it is performed, usually after 12 weeks after the initial surgery.
However, the recovery process can be longer if required further treatment, eg, chemotherapy. In this case, there is no exact limit, some people can live with a colostomy for a few years before it closed.
Sometimes an operation to close the colostomy is not recommended. For example if the muscles that control anus (sphincter muscle) were damaged. Then the elimination of the stoma will cause bowel incontinence.
The operation to close the loop colostomy is a relatively simple. The surgeon makes an incision around the stoma. The top of the large intestine is connected to the remaining part of it.
Operation of the closure end colostomy predstvlyayu a more invasive surgical procedure as medical need greater access to the abdominal cavity. Therefore, the risk of complications is higher, the recovery period longer.
Most patients feel well enough to leave the hospital after 3-10 days after the operation. It takes some time to restore normal bowel function. Some people experience diarrhea, but over time it passes. There have been a pain in the anus. It is proposed to use protective creams such as Sudocrem.
The operation to close the colostomy is less extensive as compared to its creation. However, it takes a few weeks to recover and return to normal life.
Potential complications of colostomy
After creating a stoma is probable that some of the complications. Consider some of them.
After surgery, a colostomy, which does not affect the rectum and anus, can be marked mucus from the rectum. It is produced by the intestinal mucosa and acts as a lubricant, helping the passage of stool. Its consistency ranges from pure "egg-white" to sticky and adhesive. If there is blood or pus, it is a sign of infection or tissue injury.
One of the control data for this symptom is the application of glycerine suppositories. The capsules dissolve, make a watery mucus that provides a lighter from her deliverance.
Sometimes mucus causes irritation around the anus, here can help protective creams.
A hernia is a condition where the body exits the cavity it occupies in the norm, such as into muscle or surrounding tissues due to their weakness. In this specific case it occurs protrusion of the intestine through the abdominal muscle about places overlay colostomy, formed appreciable bulge under the skin. In people with a stoma have an increased risk of complications, as the weakened abdominal muscles during surgery.
As an effective way to prevent a hernia, explains:
- Wearing a support belt or linen.
- Maintaining a healthy weight, as being overweight or obese put additional pressure on the abdominal muscles.
- Avoid heavy lifting.
Hernias cope with most conservative manner, but occasionally require surgery after colostomy surgery. However, there is a chance that a hernia then reappears.
This complication arises from the build-up of food. Possible signs of blockage:
- Reducing the volume of stool or watery stools.
- Swollen stoma.
- Nausea and / or vomiting.
If there is suspicion of occurrence of this complication after surgery colostomy should:
- Currently, avoid solid foods.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Massaging the abdomen and the area around the stoma.
- Lie on your back, pull your knees to your chest and roll from side to side for a few minutes.
- A hot bath (15 - 20 minutes), which will contribute to a relaxation of the abdominal muscles.
However, if improvement does not occur, you should immediately contact your doctor, as there is the risk of rupture of the colon.
Reduce the likelihood of complications colostomy may be chewing food slowly and carefully, not eating large amounts at one time.
Avoid eating foods that contribute to blockage, such as corn, celery, popcorn, nuts, cabbage, coconut macaroons, grapefruit, raisins, dried fruit, apple peel.
Other complications of colostomy after surgery
There are a number of other complications that may arise after the colostomy is formed:
- Problems with the skin when there is inflammation and irritation on the skin around the stoma. Doctors in Assuta will give recommendations on how to solve it.
- Fistula (fistula) - next to the colostomy fistula develops, pathological small canal.
- Retraction of stoma - a colostomy retraction occurs in the abdominal wall. The reason may be as a sharp loss, and weight gain. As a result, intestinal contents may leak and cause skin irritation. Different types of ileostomy may alleviate this problem, although in some cases require further surgery.
- Stoma prolapse - loss of intestinal mucosa due to the wide stoma. Other contributing factors may be the intestine flatulence, increased abdominal pressure, the wearing belt ileostomy. If the prolapse is small, the use of other stoma bags can improve the situation, although in the future, you may need surgery. It is also recommended not to lift weights, use a bandage.
- Leaks digestive wastes from the colon to the skin or into the abdominal cavity. When external problems can help the application of different ileostomy and techniques for internal need further surgery.
- Stoma ischemia due to a decrease in blood flow to it. There will be a need for additional surgery.
- Stenosis, or narrowing of the stoma. In most cases, there is six to eight weeks after colostomy surgery. Operational approach may be used that extends the mouth. Favor of the procedure will "finger bougienage" special massage.
The high level of professionalism of the doctors at the clinic Assuta, modern possibilities of medical treatment give the best results with minimal complications.