Chemotherapy drugs used medications that enter the bloodstream, their effects encompasses the whole body, which carries undoubted benefits in the treatment of malignant diseases .
Chemotherapy for gastric cancer is appointed cycles - rest gives way to therapy for several weeks. Quite often performed 3 cycles of chemotherapy before and after the operation. Each cycle lasts for 3 weeks.
Possible applications of this therapy in the clinic Assuta :
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for gastric cancer is assigned to shrink a tumor and the possibility of surgery. In addition, it reduces the risk of recurrence and prolongs life. For some stages of stomach cancer - a standard method of treatment. Before surgery after chemotherapy take a break of five to six weeks.
- Adjuvant chemotherapy is performed after surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. It destroys the abnormal cells that might have survived, and are too small to be detected. Quite often it is performed in conjunction with radiation, which is particularly effective after surgery. Chemotherapy in this case begins after 6-10 weeks, due to the recovery process.
- Chemotherapy for gastric cancer is prescribed basic method for distributing secondary foci in distant organs. This reduces their size and slow growth, moreover, facilitates the manifestation of the disease and prolong life.
Admission forms of chemotherapy:
- pump (infusion pump);
The choice depends on the drug or a combination thereof, possibly a combination of several forms.
Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for gastric cancer in Israel
It is used rarely. It carried out when there are indications that the abnormal cells have spread to the inner surface of the abdominal wall, contributing to ascites. Small incision is made through which the catheter is inserted. The fluid in the abdominal cavity is drained, chemotherapy drug is administered.
chemotherapy regimens in gastric cancer in Israel
When treating this disease prescribed drugs such as carboplatin, capecitabine (Xeloda), cisplatin, irinotecan (camptosar ®), oxaliplatin (eloxatin ®) and others.
They can provide alone or in combination with other chemotherapies or targeted drugs. Is influenced by such factors as the stage of cancer, general health, whether chemoradiation therapy is conducted.
Some common chemotherapy regimens with stomach cancer:
- ECF (epirubicin, cisplatin and 5-FU) are assigned to reception and after the operation, via a portable infusion pump (pump) and by injection. Installed central catheter in the main artery in the neck.
- ECX: epirubicin, cisplatin - infusion and capecitabine (Xeloda), - receiving in the form of tablets.
- EOX: epirubicin, oxaliplatin and capecitabine (Xeloda®).
- Docetaxel and paclitaxel with 5-FU or capecitabine in combination with radiation prior to surgery.
- Cisplatin 5-FU or capecitabine in combination with radiotherapy prior to surgery.
- Paclitaxel and carboplatin with radiotherapy prior to surgery.
After the surgery, when the chemotherapy for gastric cancer given together with radiation, use of 5-FU or capecitabine.
For the treatment of advanced stages in the presence of secondary foci can assign ECF scheme also apply other:
- DCF (docetaxel, cisplatin and 5-FU);
- Irinotecan plus cisplatin;
- Irinotecan and 5-FU or capecitabine;
- Oxaliplatin plus 5-FU or capecitabine.
Many doctors in the presence of secondary foci preferred to use circuit 2 of chemotherapy. A combination of three drugs may lead to more side effects, so they are prescribed if the patient has a very good health.
Receiving unwanted effects of chemotherapeutic agents
Since chemotherapy provides an impact not only on the pathological, but also healthy cells, noted the following common adverse effects: diarrhea, ulcerative lesions in the mouth, loss of appetite, shortness of breath and fatigue, hair loss, nausea and vomiting, increased risk of infections. They are short-term and tested after completion of therapy. Also used drugs that can prevent or reduce symptoms.
For some chemotherapy drugs are characterized by certain side effects. You need to know about this before you start treatment.
- Neuropathy: cisplatin, oxaliplatin, and a number of others can damage nerve endings. Most often, the negative effects of leaving after the cessation of therapy, in rare cases, they become long-term. Oxaliplatin can also affect the nerves in the throat, causing pain that is worse when you try to eat or drink cold liquids or food. You may have problems with swallowing or breathing, it can last for several days after treatment.
- Damage to the heart muscle doxorubicin, epirubicin, and some other drugs can cause irreversible changes, if taken over long periods of time or at high doses. Whereby the assignment of doses thoroughly controlled, and also checks the operation of the heart muscle by echocardiography and other tests. Reception is stopped at the first sign of heart damage.
- Palmoplantar syndrome may trigger capecitabine therapy or 5-FU (using infusion). Redness, numbness and swelling of the skin feet and hands. When lower dose or stop taking the drug, the symptoms go away.