Pediatric oncology is less than 1% of all cancers diagnosed each year and about 3% for the rest of childhood diseases. In recent years, cancer rates increased slightly among children. However, thanks to advances in medicine, more than 80% of children diagnosed with cancer, treated in Israel, live five years or more. For comparison - in the 70s of the last century, this figure in the world amounted to only 58%. Note that the survival rate varies depending on the type of cancer, its stage, and other factors.
5 facts about the treatment of pediatric oncology in Israel
- Treatment of cancer in children in Israel is a priority direction, which involved professionals from around the world. It perfectly understand the needs of children with cancer and their families. To ensure the highest quality of service in the Israeli hospitals use a team approach - when the child's treatment by specialists slice several directions: Pediatric Radiation Oncology, Pediatric Oncology, Pediatric Surgery, Pediatric Neurosurgery, Pediatric neuroradiology, pediatric neurology, nutritionists, therapists and physiotherapists, as well as personnel childcare and social work.
- Clinical trials are an integral part of the approach to the treatment of pediatric oncology in Israel. Israeli medicine is a recognized leader in the development of immunotherapy drugs and targeted therapies, the use of which has improved patient outcomes. Children brought to clinics of Israel from around the world to take part in clinical trials of the latest developments.
- Visits to the doctor and the hospital can be frightening for children. The clinic Assuta child to tell at an affordable level for it all procedures carried out with them, besides the children always get emotional support. And to the young patients were able to escape from the procedures and treatments - for them to come up with fun and exciting activities carried out.
- Much attention is paid to the child and after treatment - Follow-up of the child include regular consultations, ongoing monitoring and referral to specialists as needed.
- Specially designed support program to help your child and family to cope with the disease.
What types of cancer children get sick more often?
Leukemia (cancer of the blood and bone marrow)
The share of leukemia - accounting for over 30% of all cases of cancer in children. Leukemia occurs most often in children from two to six years. At present, this disease was considered incurable successfully overcome. Among the typical leukemia symptoms - fatigue, paleness, bruising, red spots on the skin, fever, bone pain, swollen lymph nodes, decreased appetite.
Tumors of the brain and spinal cord
Brain tumors and central nervous system account for 26% of cancers in children. On average, 75% of young patients clinics Israel defeat the disease.
About 6% of cases of cancer in children - neuroblastoma , which affects the sympathetic nervous system (responsible for the reaction of "fight or flight") throughout the body. The disease develops as a tumor in the adrenal glands, the abdomen or pelvis. Neuroblastoma are more prone to infants and young children. Children who are older than 10 years, the disease is rare. In the early stages of neuroblastoma after treatment 5-year survival rate for children is 95%! In the middle stages of - from 90% to 95%; at the terminal stages of - from 40% to 50%.
Wilms' tumor (nephroblastoma) - a kind of kidney cancer , occurring in children aged three to four years. This disease is about 6% of all cancers in children. The tumor usually affects one kidney, but about 5-10 percent of children with Wilms tumor amazed both kidneys. For unknown reasons, nephroblastoma affects more black children than white. As with any other cancer, prognosis and long-term survival can vary greatly, but most children with Wilms tumor can be completely cured of the disease. Possible symptoms of this disease - abdominal pain, hypertension, blood in the urine, weight loss.
Lymphoma - a cancer of the lymphatic system. There are two main types - Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Hodgkin's lymphoma accounts for about 3% of all cases of cancer in children. Hodgkin's lymphoma may develop in a child of any age, but more likely to develop between the ages of 15 to 20 years. However, with the help of modern medicines and treatments in Israel achieve excellent results in the fight against this disease.
- NHL - non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is about 5% of cancers in children and is more common in boys than in girls. Symptoms vary depending on which group of lymph nodes affected. About 80 percent of patients treated for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in Israel, a full recovery. This forecast is increased to about 90 percent of children with NHL in the early stages.
Rhabdomyosarcoma is formed in skeletal muscle and is the most common type of soft-tissue sarcomas, is about 3% of all cancers in children. Alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma affects children of all ages, and often affects the muscles of the arms, legs and torso. Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma develops in the muscles of the head, neck and genital area and is more common in children under 10 years. The five-year survival rate of children with rhabdomyosarcoma an early stage is more than 90%! The percentage of children who have the disease is diagnosed at later stages and overcome the five-year mark after diagnosis reduced to 20-40%.
Retinoblastoma - a malignant tumor that develops in the retina, the light-sensitive part of the eye. The share of retinoblastoma accounts for about 2% of cancers in children. Usually, it is not noticeable at birth, and the majority of children diagnosed with the disease before the age of two years. Retinoblastoma - a cancer respond well to treatment, according to statistics 95 percent of children diagnosed with retinoblastoma are cured after treatment. All children with retinoblastoma have to wear special safety glasses to protect your eyes.
The share of bone cancer accounts for about 3% of cancers in children. In children, the most frequent are two main types of this cancer: osteosarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma.
- Osteosarcoma usually develops at the edges of the long bones of the lower limbs in the knee; bones of the upper extremities - closer to the shoulder joint. Mostly found in teenagers and young adults. After treatment, approximately 60% of patients with the disease completely parted.
- Ewing's sarcoma can occur in any bone, but most often occurs in the limbs and can affect the muscles and soft tissues around the site of the tumor. Ewing's sarcoma cells also can spread (metastasize) to other areas of the body, including bone marrow, lung, kidney, heart, adrenal gland, etc. Ewing's sarcoma is responsible for about 1.8% of cancers in children. Ewing's sarcoma usually affects children and adolescents aged 5 to 20 years. After treatment, approximately 60% of patients with the disease completely parted.
Methods of treatment of pediatric oncology in Israel
Depending on the disease the child to overcome cancer may need one of the following treatments or a combination of: surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, immunotherapy and stem cell transplantation.
- Surgery plays a very important role in the treatment of cancer in children in Israel, its purpose - to remove the tumor during surgery. Depending on the size and position of the tumor in the body, the operation may be an integral part of the treatment.
- Chemotherapy. In order to kill cancer cells child is given special drugs that can be taken orally or administered intravenously, intramuscularly, intrathecally (into the spinal fluid)
- Radiotherapy - in this case, the cancer cells are destroyed using high-energy rays. Treatment is usually carried out a series of short daily sessions over several weeks. Radiotherapy is used to destroy existing bone marrow prior to transplantation.
- Immunotherapy is the most promising method for the treatment of cancer, which is based on drugs that increase the natural strength of the immune system of the child to deal with cancer.
The best specialists of Israel clinics
- Dr. Ronit Elhasid - one of the best specialists in the treatment of children in Israel, suffering from blood cancer and lymphatic system. Further training Ronit Elhasid held in a Los Angeles clinic specializing in bone marrow transplantation, since the doctor spent more than three hundred transplants in Israel.
- Dr. Yaakov Ben Haim - Israeli pediatric surgeon-urologist, to which are brought to the treatment of children from around the world. Doctor with thirty years of experience in practice applies new methods of treatment, including little traumatic surgery techniques.
- Zvi Lidar - a leading neurosurgeon of Israel, who has spent thousands of successful operations to remove malignant tumors in the spine. 98% of his patients have found a chance to recover.