Carcinoid tumors are slow-growing cancer, which typically occur in the ileum, appendix and in the rectum. Three of the ten carcinoid tumors are localized in the lungs. This kind of malignancies emits large amounts of chemicals such as serotonin, bradykinin, histamine, and prostaglandins. Therefore, their high content in the body can indicate a carcinoid tumor.
Benefits carcinoid treatment in Israel
- In Israel clinics focusing on the accuracy of diagnosis - because it affects the choice of treatment strategy, which will be most effective for you.
- Assuta uses the most advanced imaging technology to secure cancer detection, accurate determination of the type and stage of disease.
- In Israel, uses a technique called MSK-IMPACT ™, which verifies individual tumor samples for genetic mutations, and then compares the results with clinical data about how well such a tumor may respond to treatment.
- Assuta Medical Center offers a variety of rehabilitation services to help patients at all stages of treatment.
- The diagnosis of cancer is difficult at any age, but older patients face unique challenges. The Assuta aim to provide older patients with cancer treatment, services and support they need.
What treatment is carried out carcinoid in Israel?
There are several methods for the treatment of carcinoid tumors, including surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy and drug therapy.
surgery is the main treatment for carcinoid in Israel. Surgical methods include the following:
- Appendectomy - when carcinoid is on the appendix, the tumor is removed along with it.
- Resection: The surgeon removes part or organ that contains cancer, or the entire body. If the tumor is located in the intestines, and the tumor part of the intestine removed, after which the remaining portions are joined.
- Local removing: removal of the tumor and surrounding tissue.
- Cryosurgery: The tumor is frozen and then removed.
- Radiofrequency ablation: the cancer cells are destroyed by the electrodes.
Chemotherapy is the treatment of carcinoid in Israel
Apply if there has been metastasizing carcinoid tumors and in cases where surgical removal for any reason it is not possible.
Chemotherapeutic drugs currently used in clinical trials include the following:
- I alkylating agents.
- Interferon alpha.
- Somatostatin analogs with a radioactive load.
High levels of radiation has been used successfully in Israel for the destruction of cancer cells carcinoid or to prevent them from breeding. In this modern equipment to minimize damage to healthy cells. The radiation can be external - the patient is placed in the working area of the special equipment which sighting irradiates the zone where the tumor is located; radiation may also emanate from the implant (internal radiation) .- small container with radioactive material placed in the tumor during surgery, or next to it.
Biological therapy, also called immunotherapy, is based on the stimulation of the body's immune system to destroy cancer cells.
As classified carcinoid?
Carcinoid tumors are classified by their location in the body as follows:
- Localized: tumors appear in the appendix, the small or large intestine, rectum, or stomach and not spread from the initial site.
- Regional: the cancer has moved from this place to the lymph nodes or nearby tissues.
- Metastatic: the cancer has spread to other parts of the body away from the original location.
carcinoid treatment in Israel, depending on the location
carcinoid treatment in Israel of the gastrointestinal tract depends on where they are in the body:
- Localized: carcinoid tumors that appear in the appendix, rectum, colon, the ileum or the pancreas, is usually treated by local excision and / or surgery or fulguration (cauterizing high frequency current tissues).
- Regional: if the cancer has spread beyond the initial site to other tissues and / or to the lymph nodes, it is usually removed surgically. Tissue and lymph nodes near the tumor can also be removed. The patient may also receive palliative therapy to relieve symptoms, to feel as comfortable as possible.
- Metastatic: if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body away from the original location, the patient may receive one or more of the above treatments.
How to diagnose carcinoid in Israel?
If you suspect a carcinoid doctor may also prescribe the following types of studies:
- General blood analysis.
- Blood chemistry.
- Daily urine test to check hormone levels, which may indicate a carcinoid tumor.
- CT scan of the chest.
- Biopsy - a procedure in which a small sample of the tumor is taken, so it can be examined under a microscope.
Symptoms carcinoid tumors
Patients skartsinoidom can for a long time unaware of the disease, which in the early stages are asymptomatic. Symptoms often appear only at the stage of metastasis and include:
When carcinoid intestine or appendix
- Incorrect heartbeat.
- Stomach ache.
- Weight loss.
- Low blood pressure.
When carcinoid lung:
- Redness of the face.
- Shortness of breath or asthma-like symptoms.
- Inconsistent breath.
- High blood pressure.
- Weight gain.
- Increasing the amount of hair on the body and face.
What is carcinoid lung tumor?
Carcinoid tumors of the lung are rare, they account for only 1-2% of all lung cancer cases.
Carcinoid lung tumor is a type of cancer consisting of neuroendocrine cells. These cells are found throughout the body, including the lungs. They are similar to endocrine cells, because both produce hormones or hormone-like substances.
There are two types of carcinoid tumors: typical (slow) and atypical (quickly grow and spread to other organs is more likely). Typical carcinoids is approximately nine out of 10 lung carcinoids. Another way to classify the carcinoid tumors in the lungs - it is their location. Central carcinoids are found in the walls of the large airways of the lungs. Peripheral carcinoid formed closer to the edges of the light in the smaller airways. Both central and peripheral carcinoids usually are typical carcinoids
The cause of pulmonary carcinoid tumors is still unclear. They are not associated with smoking, air pollution or other chemicals. However, there are factors that may put some people at increased risk. Carcinoid lung usually develops in whites than in people of other races, and is usually present in a larger number of women than men.
Most surgeons Israel
- Ron Greenberg - one of the best surgeons of Israel, who specializes in operations, including minimally invasive, gastro-intestinal tract. His former patients with cancer, respond about Greenberg as a professional, thanks to which they are recovered.
- Professor Gideon Uretski - leading specialist on operations on the heart and lungs. On account of his thousands of successful surgeries. He is the author of over 150 scientific papers published in top medical journals in the world.
- Professor Joseph Klausner - oncosurgeon from around the world, who has years of experience in resection of malignant tumors of the gastrointestinal tract.