Malignant mesothelioma - a cancer that is usually found in the pleura (the serosa in the chest cavity, covering the lungs), and rarely the peritoneum (the shell in which the abdominal organs are located).
The clinic Assuta works with the patient Thoracic team of radiologists, pathologists, oncologists, surgeons, and their activities are focused on:
- cancer diagnosis (there are other disorders that are similar to the symptoms of mesothelioma).
- Determining the type and treatment of oncology .
- Selection methods of treating mesothelioma in Israel, which are most effective in this case.
Faced with cancerous lesions of the body, no time to lose. A proven fact that the treatment of mesothelioma in Israel in the clinic Assuta, the best private medical complex in the Middle East, reliable option recuperation. Treatment in the early stages will enable get rid of a terrible disease. But in the late stages doctors do the impossible - after a course of medical procedures, patients come to life again.
We - the official representative of Assuta network and enter the number of the Association of Medical Tourism Companies in Israel. It allows us to interact directly with the best shots of Israeli medicine at affordable prices. Turning to us, you can be confident in the quality of assistance provided. Working in the market for over 10 years, we have proved the integrity, reliability and professionalism in relation to the Russian-speaking patients. We offer a package of logistics services in the Assuta for 280 dollars.
Sample prices for the diagnosis and treatment of mesothelioma:
- Admission oncologist - $ 600
- Tumor markers - $ 120
- blood tests (general, biochemical) - from 80 $
- Biopsy - $ 610
- PET-CT - 1670 $
Each treatment is assigned a doctor according to your case of developing the disease. Total cost of treatment in Israel is lower than in Europe or America by about 30%.
Causes of mesothelioma
Similarly, only known risk factors that may affect the development of the disease. One of them - the exposure to asbestos. The increased incidence of mesothelioma is closely associated with the rise of the asbestos industry, the use of asbestos in insulation and fire protection materials. Men tend to suffer more because they are more involved in these sectors. Family members of workers who have been exposed to asbestos are at increased risk of developing mesothelioma.
This disease develops, usually after a long time - 10-40 years.
symptoms of mesothelioma
In the early stages of the disease symptoms are subtle. Some patients may not have any significant symptoms. In asymptomatic case may occur slight accumulation of fluid between the lungs and the chest cavity - pleurisy. The symptoms of early mesothelioma include coughing and shortness of breath.
Fatigue, weakness, and weight loss occur much later. The pain - a common symptom of the disease. The disease begins to manifest itself through shortness of breath, fever, trouble swallowing, swelling of the face and neck. Some patients develop a raspy voice, or coughing up blood. You should consult a doctor if there are:
- Difficulty breathing.
- Pain in the chest.
- Pain and swelling in the abdomen.
- Weight loss for unknown reasons.
Diagnosing mesothelioma in Israel
Assuta Hospital offers the possibility of obtaining a second opinion, including - advice on complex and difficult cases. Second Opinion is available on the following issues:
- Confirmation of the diagnosis.
- Evaluation of an unusual case.
- Detailed information about the type and stage of mesothelioma.
- Mesothelioma treatment options in Israel.
- Participation in clinical trials.
Diagnosis of mesothelioma begins with the collection of case histories, including interaction with asbestos. Doctors perform a complete physical examination, examine lung function that will help to diagnose the disease and determine the severity of the problem.
Surgeon or oncologist interacts with a multidisciplinary team to determine which tests are necessary for the diagnosis and analysis of the state. This survey may include a number of different procedures, including a biopsy and imaging techniques.
low-dose techniques used during scanning to minimize radiation exposure.
As a rule, carried out chest X-ray or view existing film. In addition, run other types of surveys. Assuta Hospital uses modern imaging techniques:
- Multrisrezovaya CT is often used after X-rays, creating a more detailed image of the lungs and surrounding tissues.
- MRI of the thoracic cavity allows doctors to look for any invasion of the tumor into the chest wall, diaphragm, or other areas.
- PET-CT is used to determine how widespread the tumor process.
This procedure involves taking a tissue sample from the tumor or lymph node for testing. Pathologists specializing in mesothelioma, carried out several tests on the extracted sample to determine the type and stage of cancer. Precise identification of the disease and its stage is extremely important, it affects the decision-making process, the selection of the optimal surgical approaches and non-surgical treatments for mesothelioma Izraile- chemotherapy and radiation.
Sometimes a biopsy is performed without surgical intervention, in other cases, surgery is the best way to obtain the desired tissue samples. Types of inspection:
- Fine-needle biopsy involves removal of lung tissue or fluid from the lungs through a fine needle. For precision-guided munitions used CT or ultrasound. Pathologists examine the sample under a microscope to determine the presence and type of cancer cells. If cancer cells are present, they will be analyzed for the presence of genetic anomalies.
- Surgical biopsy may be needed depending on the location of the tumor or lymph node. In some cases it is possible to extract a sample, analyze it and continue to the appropriate transaction type in a few minutes.
- Mediastinoscopy determines whether or not the tumor has spread to the lymph nodes in the center of the chest. Based on the determined lymph node tumor size and selected treatment option.
Determination step mesothelioma
After confirming a cancer doctor sets the size, extent of tumor, the degree of spread in the body. Stage of the disease is divided into localized and metastatic cancer.
Localized mesothelioma - Stage 1
Malignant cells may be found in the chest wall pleura, pleural lung, pleura or aperture in the pericardium.
Mesothelioma Metastatic - steps 2,3 and 4
Stage 2 tumor cells were detected in the chest wall pleura and lymph nodes on the same side of the chest. They may be in the pleura of the lung, pleura, diaphragm and pericardium.
Stage 3 - Malignant cells spread to any of the following: chest wall, mediastinum, the heart of the diaphragm into the peritoneum. The disease may metastasize to lymph nodes on the other side of the chest or outside.
Stage 4 involves penetration of tumor to distant organs or tissues.
Mesothelioma Treatment in Israel
The team of surgeons, oncologists, radiation therapists, pathologists and experts who specialize in the treatment of lung cancer, Collaborate together, to develop the most optimal program for each patient. There is no universally accepted standard therapy. Treatment in Israel mesothelioma may include surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy or a combination of these methods. A combined approach is usually more effective for most patients with mesothelioma.
Cooperation is the key to success. Surgeons, oncologists, radiologists and pathologists interact together to create a unique model of cooperation, which is aimed exclusively at the treatment of lung cancer, mesothelioma and other diseases related to these. Doctors have been meeting daily to assess the most effective options for each patient.
Thoracic surgery clinic Assuta provide the most advanced surgical treatment of mesothelioma in Israel, including intraoperative chemotherapy.
The goal of surgery - to remove as much of the tumor process, to prolong life. Options transactions in malignant mesothelioma:
- Plevrektomy - removal pleural chest cavity.
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy - removal of the affected lung with the thoracic cavity pleura, pericardium, and diaphragm portion.
While surgery is a new method of chemotherapy, which increases the effectiveness of surgical treatment. The surgeon removes the whole tumor process, then poured doctors preheated solution of chemotherapeutic agents into the chest cavity. Increasing the temperature of the solution increases the effectiveness of drug therapy. In addition, it contains drugs which protect normal cells against chemotherapy and reduce side effects.
Chemotherapy is the treatment of mesothelioma in Israel
This method uses drugs designed to stop cancer cell growth. Chemotherapy is almost always - part of a therapeutic plan, which aims - to control mesothelioma, improve survival, improve quality of life.
With this type of cancer drugs are generally administered intravenously or during surgery. The choice of specific drugs will be based on individual characteristics. Many chemotherapy drugs given together with a vitamin complex that minimizes the toxicity and increases the effectiveness of treatment.
Oncologists clinic Assuta use extensive knowledge to develop a proper treatment program for each patient:
- At the first meeting determined severe symptoms experienced by the patient, including pain, shortness of breath, emotional stress. It can be organized palliative care teams of doctors.
- MC Assuta provides fast and efficient start of treatment by coordinating the diagnosis and assessment of the patient efforts of the entire team of doctors.
- Physicians Medical Center have experience with the newest methods of treatment and their adaptation to each patient. They will discuss with the patient treatment options and help determine the treatment program.
Radiation therapy is a non-invasive form of cancer treatment that uses various types of radiation to kill cancer cells. Radiation therapists clinic Assuta specialize in radiation techniques that effectively act on the cancer cells while sparing healthy ones. When mesothelioma radiation therapy is administered in the following cases:
- In order to alleviate the symptoms of the disease.
- Remaining after surgery to reduce or completely eliminate cancer cells.
Oncologists clinic Assuta have access to the most advanced tools of radiotherapy. Depending on the individual characteristics treatment is carried out using one of the following methods:
- IGRT Radiotherapy - Radiotherapy with visual inspection. Each procedure is accompanied by visualization of the tumor, to put it in the center of the radiation beam.
- Radiation therapy with modulated intensity IMRT or 3D-conformal radiotherapy involves complex methods of automated planning that maximize the delivery of radiation to the tumor while sparing healthy tissue situated near.
Patients requiring surgical treatment of mesothelioma, provides care group thoracic specialists who are part of the team. MC Assuta doctors, nurses and support staff have been working with patients with this diagnosis - the provision of treatment and care, both medically and psychologically.
Palliative Care Mesothelioma
In the later stages of the disease the doctors of the medical center to help manage the symptoms and any side effects that the patient may be experiencing. Palliative care includes the following programs:
- Management of pain. palliative care specialists interact with physicians in pain management, which is a common symptom of mesothelioma.
- Emotional support - offered help psychologists, support groups.
- We offer services for the selection of wigs, hats and other items.
- Recuperation and endurance. After treatment, organized occupational therapy, aimed at the patient's rehabilitation. Apply integrative therapies to facilitate stress and fatigue.