Meningioma constitute about one third of all primary brain tumors. Meningiomas - 90% are benign tumors that grow from brain membranes. They tend to grow slowly and inside. Meningioma often reaches a sufficiently large size before it is diagnosed. Despite the fact that, as mentioned above, it is usually a benign tumor, however, it can be life-threatening because it can put pressure on the brain regions responsible for vital bodily functions. In 10% of cases of meningioma is malignant and can metastasize to other organs. Some patients may develop more than one meningioma.
The younger the patient at diagnosis, the better the long-term prognosis. For people who are being treated meningioma in Israel, 10-year relative survival rate is 81.4%. Recall that the 10-year survival rate - the percentage of people who are still alive 10 years after diagnosis
Why do patients choose to treat meningioma Israel and clinic Assuta?
- Assuta - one of the best clinics in Israel, which employs around 300 highly skilled physicians.
- Assuta provides a wide range of services for patients, including clinical trials. In the treatment of meningioma in Israel uses the latest advances in medicine.
- In the clinics of Israel, including in the Assuta, he has proven himself an interdisciplinary approach, which allows the experts, including surgeons, pathologists, oncologists, radiation therapists, nurses, social workers and others to develop an individual approach to each patient's treatment. This cooperation also means that you will get the necessary medical care is complex, not "running" from specialist to specialist, and not wasting precious time to them in lines.
- The clinic operates a number of programs specifically designed to help patients better cope with the disease. For example, psycho-oncology program involves a multidisciplinary team that works with patients to reduce the stress caused by the disease and improve quality of life.
types of meningiomas
Doctors classify meningiomas as follows:
- I degree - a benign meningioma, which is slowly growing.
- Grade II - atypical meningioma, which is growing faster.
- Grade III - anaplastic / malignant meningioma, which is rapidly growing and spreading.
How to diagnose meningioma in Israel?
In the early stages of the disease, when the tumor is not causing symptoms, meningitis often discover by chance, in other surveys. The diagnosis is usually made by means of X-ray examinations: Computed Tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). a biopsy may be required to complete the diagnosis, but sometimes the diagnosis can be established only by CT or MRI. In rare cases, to determine the blood supply to the tumor or the tumor affects blood flow in the brain cerebral angiogram can be used. In addition, the doctor may order a study of hearing and vision, to understand how meningioma affects the brain.
How to carry out the treatment of meningioma in Israel?
The most common methods of treatment of meningioma in Israel are radiosurgery and surgery. Malignant forms of meningiomas treated with radiation therapy. In some cases, it goes without treatment, but the patient is under the supervision of specialists and undergo regular inspection. Chemotherapy with meningioma is rarely used. Before and after the surgery may also be administered corticosteroids and / or antiepileptic drugs.
Stereotactic Radiosurgery: Gamma Knife
Israeli clinic equipped with modern equipment, allowing to cope with the disease with minimal side effects. In particular, for the treatment of pathologies of the brain, including those for the treatment of meningioma in Israel applies gamma knife - so the setup for stereotactic radiosurgery in which the radiation source is a radioactive cobalt-60.
Despite the name, this procedure does not involve a surgical incision of the brain. In addition, the "blades" gamma knife are actually focused beams of gamma radiation. To 192 radiation beams are very precisely focused on the affected area of the brain, so the healthy tissue surrounding the tumor is almost not damaged.
Compared with traditional surgery, radiosurgery, Gamma Knife does not require general anesthesia. It also avoids other risks and complications of surgery (such as bleeding and infection). After treatment, only a slight discomfort is felt. meningioma treatment in Israel with the help of gamma knife is usually performed on an outpatient basis. However, sometimes patients may remain in the hospital overnight. Most patients can resume their normal activities within a day or two.
How to prepare for the Gamma Knife procedure?
- Tell your doctor if you have: a pacemaker, implanted pump for medication, any metal implants, as well as if you suffer from lung disease, or gastric reflux, which is why you find it difficult to lie on your back for 30-60 minutes.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any medications, latex, contrast dyes, iodine, general or local anesthetics.
- Do not eat or drink anything since the night before the procedure.
- On the eve of the procedures necessary to wash your hair, and not to use styling products.
- On the day of procedure, wear comfortable clothes - pants or shorts, and a shirt or blouse with buttons. Do not wear clothing that needs to be pulled over the head.
How is the Gamma Knife radiosurgery in Israel?
The procedure involves several stages.
- In the vein of your hand experts will establish a special port system for easy administration of contrast medium or a sedative to help you relax. Most patients do not sleep, but during the procedure under light sedation.
- Then, a special frame is attached to your head, which helps to accurately position the head. Then, a CT and / or MRI to determine the exact location of the tumor being treated. Scan usually takes about 30 minutes.
- For the next 1-4 hours, based on the scan results and other information to your surgeon, oncologist and other members of the team will calculate the dose of radiation and decide how best to target the radiation beam, to achieve the best results. During this time you can stay in a special room to relax with family or friends.
- Then treatment begins - again put on a framework that will keep your head in the exact position. The treating team will go into the other room, but yours will be constantly observed by video cameras. In addition, close to your head will be a microphone, so you can easily talk to the staff during the treatment.
- Couch on which you are lying, will move slowly to the plant, where the radiation. Most procedures take between 30 minutes to 3 hours, depending on the size, shape, location and number lesions doses ( "shots"). Gamma Knife treatment is painless and almost silently. Patients can listen to music or sleep during the procedure. After a session closure frame with the head removed from the vein is removed the port system.
Experts in the treatment of meningioma in Israel
- Professor Moshe Adani - one of the leading experts in Israel that specializes in brain surgery. His experience in this area - for almost 40 years! On account of the surgeon - thousands of successful operations and patients cope with its help with brain diseases, including meningiomas. The professor is also involved in scientific activities, developing new methods of operation.
- Professor Zvi Ram - neurosurgeon with more than 30 years of experience, is the Secretary General of the Israel Society of Neurological Surgeons, held an internship in the best clinics in Europe and America.
- Dr. Margalit Nebo grateful patients referred to a doctor from God. Surgeon specializes in operations on the base of the skull, is the Association of Physicians of Israel; Israeli Association neurosurgeon; North American Society for Surgery of the skull base.
Studies have shown that 40% -80% of all meningiomas occur in people with an abnormality in chromosome 22, which is involved in the suppression of tumor growth. The anomaly can arise as spontaneously as well be hereditary. A risk factor for spontaneous occurrence may be, for example, the previous irradiation of the head, there is also a link between hormonal status and human meningiomas.
Signs and symptoms of meningioma
The most common symptoms are headaches and weakness in the arm or leg. Some of the symptoms associated with the specific area of the brain in which there is a meningioma.
Other symptoms include:
- Problems with vision and / or hearing.
- Personality changes.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Numbness of the face.