There was a time when the number of organ transplants in Israel was lower compared to other countries in Europe and America because of the fact that organ donation was forbidden to Jewish law. The situation changed dramatically with the adoption of new laws on organ donation in 2008, and now the number of transplants is growing every year. The past, 2018 was a record year in Israel by the number of organ transplants - for the year performed 592 operations, 100 of them - a liver transplant, which exceeded the figure for the previous year by 33%
When you need a liver transplant?
Liver transplantation is considered when the body ceases to function properly, experts call a state of hepatic insufficiency. It develops due to:
- Sclerosing cholangitis.
- Biliary atresia - malformation of the bile ducts. This is a common reason for liver transplantation in children.
- Wilson's disease.
- Oncology liver.
Israel clinics provide different specialists to search for a transplant. The team usually consists of:
- Social worker.
- Psychiatrist, helps to cope with anxiety and depression associated with the upcoming operation.
- Narcologist to help people with alcohol or drug dependence.
- Nutritionist to help evaluate your current nutritional status and to make the most optimal diet.
- The pharmacist, who will check all prescribed medications for compatibility and track possible side effects.
What tests are required prior to liver transplantation in Israel?
You will need to bring all your medical records, x-ray images, the results of the biopsy. To complement and update the previous studies, usually carried out following diagnosis:
- CT scan.
- Blood tests.
How does the waiting list for a liver transplant in Israel?
If you become a candidate for a transplant, your name will be entered in the list - a list of needing a liver transplant patients. About patients there is information about blood type, body size and score MELD / PELD.
Credit MELD / PELD calculated using simple blood tests (creatinine, bilirubin and INR). Patients with the highest score shall be appointed for organ transplant in the first place. As the deterioration of the patient, his score, and hence the priority for transplantation may increase.
It is impossible to predict how long the patient will wait for a donor liver becomes available.
Where the donation of organs from?
There are 2 types of transplant
- In 1 case, the body is taken from a healthy living donor. Thus the donor may be a blood relative, and not blood relatives people. Often in the role of the donor are the spouses or friends. In this case, the important factor is not related, and blood type and the appropriate body size. Before transplantation potential donor will pass a thorough examination to ensure that the risks to a minimum. In turn, at the time of transplantation, the patient should be stable.
- In the second case (when an organ is removed from a cadaver) - donor can be a person with a head injury or cerebral vascular trauma, such as bleeding in the brain. In other words, it is important that the brain has died, and the heart and other organs functioned. Personality cadaveric donor and the cause of death remain confidential.
If a suitable organ is found?
When the body is determined for you, you will be called the transplant coordinator. Remember, this can happen at any time of the day or night. If you have a cold, a sore throat, or any other type of infection, it is important to inform the coordinator. Do not eat or drink anything after you called the hospital. While the donor organ will be determined by the suitability for a transplant, you will be expected in the ward. If a suitable donor liver, so the operation will begin. Otherwise, you will be sent home to continue waiting.
Liver transplant in Israel
Surgery takes six to 12 hours.
During the operation, the doctors have placed some of tubes in your body, which will help him to perform certain functions, such as during surgery, and for several days afterwards.
- The handset will be introduced into the trachea (windpipe) to help you breathe during surgery and in the first or 2 days after it.
- Nosogastralnaya tube will be inserted through the nose into the stomach to take discharge from the stomach. It will not clean a few days until bowel function returns to normal.
- The tube called a catheter into the bladder to drain urine.
- In the abdominal cavity drainage will be placed - to drain blood and fluid from the liver.
What happens after surgery for a liver transplant in Israel?
You'll be taken to the intensive care unit and kept under close supervision of physicians.
Special monitoring equipment will check your pulse and blood pressure every 15 minutes. Sometimes this control equipment beeps and beeps. This does not necessarily mean that something is wrong. Regularly carried electrocardiogram measuring rate and the patient's heart rate.
After some time, the nursing staff will help you to get up, move around and walk. Regular walking down the corridor separating helps prevent pulmonary and cardiac complications, as well as to organize the work of the digestive system.
Once the transplant team determined that your condition is stable, they you will be transferred to the ward in the transplantation department.
What are the possible complications after a liver transplant in Israel?
There is a risk of rejection and infection.
- Rejection: Your immune system works to destroy foreign substances that penetrate into your body, so he tries to attack and destroy the new liver. About 30% of all patients with a new liver have some degree of organ rejection within the first year. Patients taking anti-rejection drugs to prevent immune attack.
- Infection: as anti-rejection drugs suppress the immune system, with graft patients at increased risk of infections. With the risk decreases over time. Not all patients have problems with infections, and most infections can be treated successfully as they arise.
When you are able to go home?
The average length of stay in hospital from 10 to 14 days. Some patients may be discharged in less than 1 week, while others may be in the hospital for much longer, depending on the possible complications. Before you leave you will be given detailed instructions:
- How to take your new medicines.
- How to check your own blood pressure and pulse.
- Signs of rejection and infection.
Readmitted to the hospital after discharge are not uncommon, especially in the period of 1 year after transplantation.
Follow-up after a liver transplant in Israel?
Your first return to the reception, as a rule, appointed in 1-2 weeks after discharge from the hospital. Additional meetings shall be appointed every two to four weeks for the first three months after transplantation. Then, patients should return to the observation at 6 and 9, and 12 months. After that, it is sufficient to show the doctor once a year.
The best doctors of Israel
- Professor Joseph Klausner - unique surgeon, founder of surgery in Israel with more than 40 years of experience. He successfully carries out the most complex operations. His mastery appreciated by various professional awards, but the best estimate - it saved thousands of them patients.
- Dr. Jacob Cohen - oncology surgeon with over 30 years of experience who specializes in minimally invasive operations on female genital mutilation. Many of his patients are grateful to the doctor for maintaining the possibility to have children.
- Professor Gideon Uretski - renowned heart surgeon, not only in Israel, but throughout the world. On his account - the development of new, minimally invasive operations on heart and lungs.