Malignant tumor that develops from glandular (exocrine) cells and is called adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.
The most common tumor affects the head of the pancreas.
Risk factors for pancreatic cancer:
- Chronic pancreatitis.
- Abuse of strong spirits.
- Hereditary predisposition.
- Diseases of the biliary tract.
- Contact poisons the workplace.
Clinical signs of pancreatic adenocarcinoma:
- Intense pain in the back and upper abdomen
- Itchy skin.
- Losing weight at a normal appetite.
- Rise in blood glucose.
- Chills and fever.
- Nausea and vomiting.
Diagnosis of pancreatic cancer in Israel
- Ultrasound examination, including endoscopic and intraductal ultrasound.
- Diagnostic laparoscopy with ultrasound.
- Computed tomography with double contrast.
- Retrograde cholangiopancreatography.
- Magnetic resonance imaging.
- Angiography of the pancreas.
- Fine-needle biopsy.
- Laboratory diagnosis in Israel clinics includes general clinical assays, blood chemistry, blood tests for tumor markers (carcinoembryonic antigen CA 19-9), the definition of bile pigments in urine and feces.
Treatment of cancer of the pancreas in Israel
The diagnosis is once recording the ESTABLISHED ,oncology Israel treated three basic methods: surgery for pancreatic cancer, gamma-therapy and treatment with cytostatics (chemotherapeutic treatment).
The main treatment is surgery. In carcinoma tail body removed and the pancreas and spleen. The tumor in the if pancreas head the clinic Assuta Performed Difficult operation -pankreatikoduodenotomiya. Resected pancreas, common bile duct, stomach, duodenum, the regional lymph nodes. The surgery is performed in patients identified in the early stages of cancer.
In later stages of malignancy and metastatic tumor detection in other organs and lymph nodes performed palliative surgery, restoring the flow of bile into the duodenum and reduces the symptoms of cholestasis.
Irradiation and chemotherapy is administered to patients at advanced stages of malignant process in the presence of metastases and to prevent tumor relapse.
Radiation therapy in pancreatic cancer in Israel
Radiation therapy treats oncology by high energy X-rays by applying the minimum possible damage to healthy cells. Radiotherapy is usually combined with a short course of chemotherapy - the so-called chemoradiotherapy.
In this disease irradiation is used less frequently than surgery or chemotherapy.
Radiation therapy in pancreatic cancer is prescribed:
- Before surgery to try to shrink the tumor, and can be easier to remove.
- After surgery to reduce the chance of the disease returning.
- In combination with chemotherapy to reduce the cancer and keep it under control as long as possible.
- To facilitate the manifestations of disease, especially if the involved bone tissue.
Side effects of radiation therapy in pancreatic cancer associated with harm to surrounding tissue. To reduce their minimum total dose of radiation is divided into 20 fractions, which provide weekday daily for four weeks.
To facilitate the symptoms of the disease are used lower doses of radiation therapy and a shortened course of treatment to reduce the likelihood of side effects.
CyberKnife treatment of pancreatic cancer in Israel
Cyber-knife is a form of radiation therapy, known as stereotactic radiotherapy and radiosurgery. Unlike the name CyberKnife - a trademark of the equipment that delivers stereotactic radiation therapy to any part of the body from any direction with the help of robotic arms.
The radiosurgery differs from conventional radiation therapy in pancreatic cancer?
As standard radiotherapy, Cyber knife provide high doses of radiation to the tumor. The difference is that while a lot of rays used in lower doses instead of one large dose. Each of the beams has a small amount of radiation.
This system is able to track the position of the tumor in response to patient motion and breathing, making its only target malignancy. This ensures that the tumor will receive a large dose of radiation with minimal impact on surrounding healthy tissue, which makes the CyberKnife safer for patients.
Traditional radiation therapy in pancreatic cancer usually consists of several procedures, the so-called factions, all together they give a total dose of radiation. treatment process takes up to 6 weeks and involves, as a rule, the daily visit to the clinic. With the help of cyber-knife need only a few or even one session of therapy.
In pancreatic cancer it is very difficult to deliver the radiation due to the proximity of other organs (stomach, intestine, duodenum, liver, kidney and spinal cord). Cyber-knife can provide a more accurate way to provide radiation therapy to target tumors with fewer side effects.
Replacement of pancreatic enzymes after surgery
Removing part of the gland or its duct blockage can cause changes in the amount of pancreatic juice. It contains enzymes that help the body digest and absorb nutrients - fat, carbohydrates and protein.
If the body can not produce enough pancreatic juice, there will be difficulties in obtaining the nutrients from food, eventually, the patient begins to lose weight. Studies show that intake of pancreatic enzymes can improve the absorption of nutrients in the digestive system.
Signs that indicate that taking enzyme preparations will be useful:
- Pale chair which badly washed, coated with the fat on the water surface.
- Abdominal pain and bloating after eating.
- A good appetite and food intake, but with continued weight loss.
What drugs are used?
All enzyme preparations contain pancreatin - a mixture of pancreatic enzymes - lipases, amylases and proteases. On average, patients must be at least 200-250,000 lipase units per day to avoid malabsorption symptoms. In cases where the pancreas is removed entirely or a portion, or when blocked gland duct, patients require supplementation enzyme preparations.
"Kreon" is the most common drug. It is available in three forms - Creon 10 000, 25 000 and 40 000. Adults take 1 or 2 capsules * 40 000 during meal time. These enzymes are isolated from the pancreas of pigs.
How should I take enzyme preparations?
- Ideally, the capsule should be taken with the beginning of the meal - meals, snacks and dairy products. A nutritionist at the Assuta will give more detailed advice.
- If the patient is more convenient to eat less but more often, for example, 3 snack during the day, you need to take 1 capsule with each snack. The drug should be swallowed with a cold drink, hot reducing its effectiveness.
- Capsule is swallowed whole, but if there are problems with this, you can open the capsule and mix it with a liquid or soft food. The granules can not crush or chew.
- It is important to drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
If the patient has a 2 times a day, and one of the meals last more than half an hour, you will need to take half of the enzymes at the beginning of the reception, and half in the middle of it.
When you do not need to take enzyme preparations?
- On empty stomach.
- With fruit puree, carbonated beverages; drinks containing less than half of the milk - tea or coffee with milk.
- When you use a small amount of fruit, vegetables, dried fruit, low-fat sweets, chocolate or plain cookies.
A nutritionist at the Assuta will provide additional information on this issue.
Reviews of treatment
To verify the effectiveness of the clinic and the doctors read the stories of patients have already passed this way. On the treatment of pancreatic cancer in Israel reviews you will find on our site.
Xenia Nikolaevna, Stavropol
"The diagnosis put to me 2 years ago. It is a pity that had not addressed to doctors, may not have been launched disease. And at home, doctors did not give me much hope. Of course, I was treated, but the results were not positive. I dropped her hands, but her husband did not give up. He sent me to Israel, and then he came to support. Thank you for giving this opportunity. We were together, and this was easier to bear. Treatment course difficult, but was pleased that no one refused to be treated, and doctors tried not to delay the diagnosis Now in remission and feeling it was much better Thank you all for helping indifferent Doctors -... Assuta professionals They gave me a second chance. . "