Hemangiomas - benign tumors, which are formed from blood vessels. They are the most common type of vascular birthmarks in infants and children. They usually develop in the life of 1 year and about two percent of cases go away without treatment. The decision about treatment should be taken together with the specialists. After all, if time does not carry out the treatment of hemangiomas in Israel, they may ulcerate, bleed, cause infection. Furthermore, the location of some of them may, for example, to prevent or limit breathing sight. Moreover, the sooner after diagnosis, treatment is started, the less and stealth will be a scar. In Israel clinics successfully cope with this type of tumor - 100% of patients recover completely, and 97% of scarring at the site of hemangioma invisible.
Superficial hemangiomas appear as birthmarks, red, rising above the surface of the skin, doctors often call them "strawberry nevus" because of the close resemblance of this berry. This kind of tumor can be formed on the internal organs or the spine. Hemangiomas are more often localized in the thoracic or lumbar spine.
Why is better to get rid of hemangiomas in Israel?
- In Israel clinics hemangioma treated with three weeks of age in children. Modern equipment with which carried out the treatment of hemangiomas in Israel gets rid of the tumor for a minimum number of procedures. Cure rate of this disease tends to 100% even in the most difficult cases.
- An integrated team approach in the clinic Assuta patients successful treatment of the child provides a comprehensive team of specialists, which is developing a treatment plan, which ideally suits your child. Clinic brings together the expertise of specialists in many areas, including dermatology, hematology, interventional radiology (minimally invasive treatment), diagnostic radiology and surgery (plastic surgery and general pediatric surgery).
- Unrivaled experience: the team includes recognized experts in the treatment of hemangioma, with experience in treating both simple and multiple hemangiomas, which may be associated with other diseases.
- The leading methods of treatment: the clinic offers a systemic medical treatment of hemangiomas in Israel using the latest and most modern medicines. Many team members have experience with these drugs since they were first approved for treatment.
Five facts about hemangioma
- For every 100 children in the 4- to 5 people find the tumor.
- Hemangiomas skinned children are more common than in blacks.
- Girls suffer from this type of cancer more often than boys.
- Premature babies have a higher risk of hemangioma.
- Studies show that 60% of hemangiomas are found in the head and neck area, and 80% of hemangiomas appear as single lesions.
Development and Diagnostics
Hemangiomas at an early age can grow very quickly and depending on the location to cause various health problems. For example, a tumor adjacent to the eyes can affect vision; location around the mouth or respiratory tract - cause breathing problems; hemangioma of the nose or ears can cause damage to the cartilage. When hemangiomas can occur ulceration or bleeding, especially if they are on the lips, cheeks and genitals.
Depending on where the tumor is located, an initial assessment of a child patient in Israel clinics may be performed by a dermatologist, gastroenterologist, ophthalmologist, otolaryngology, plastic surgeon. Then the doctor will prescribe additional studies in order to understand the extent of the disease and determine the optimal treatment plan. Diagnosis may include blood tests, electrocardiogram, ultrasound or MRI.
What methods are used in the treatment of hemangiomas in Israel?
1. the Impact laser. One of the methods of treatment of cutaneous hemangiomas - the impact on the affected area with a laser beam, which lasts a few minutes. The laser beam destroys the hemangioma, and after two or three weeks, the tissue is torn away. Depending on the size of the tumor can take several treatment sessions. Since it is painless, as a rule , it is carried out without anesthesia.
Among the adverse effects of laser treatment:
- Skin discoloration.
- thinning of the skin.
In the clinics of Israel and apply new scientific developments - during each session, the laser beam is passed through the pieces of ice, through which cooled the affected skin. The new technique makes it possible to cope with a hemangioma in fewer sessions and gives better cosmetic effect.
2. Cryosurgery - effective is and will most commonly Used in an Israeli hospital A treatment for hemangiomas. The term "cryosurgery" literally means " the destruction of the cold." The tumor is destroyed by freezing the damaged skin area. Freezing is carried out using liquid nitrogen - at a temperature of -196 C.
Carrying out the procedure does not require hospitalization and anesthesia. Depending on where the hemangioma, the physician will cause the liquid nitrogen using a spray gun, the metal probe or cotton swab.
Despite the small local pain, cryotherapy is usually performed without anesthesia and the procedure takes only a few seconds. In the next few days is not the treatment site forms a scab, which comes down in one to two weeks, and have healthy skin is formed in its place. Scarring or discoloration of the skin after treatment hardly noticeable.
Possible side effects:
- Pain syndrome. Cryodestruction usually well tolerated, but sometimes can be painful. Receiving anesthetic drugs (such as paracetamol) during the first day easily solves this problem.
- Redness and swelling - is considered a normal reaction to low temperatures, and tested in a few days.
- scarring occurs infrequently in cases, if there was a need for more deep-freezing.
- Pigmentation changes - the skin at the treatment site may remain more light or dark compared to the rest of the body color. Over time, this difference is leveled
3. Drug treatment of hemangiomas in Israel. In those cases, when the tumor occupies a large area of the body surface, apply medication. Treatment lasts from nine to fifteen months.
4. Beta-blockers. For small superficial hemangiomas on the affected skin , you can apply the gel with the drug timolol. Severe forms of hemangiomas can be treated by oral solution propranolol. Studies have shown that treatment with propranolol helps get rid of hemangioma nine children out of 10. Less than two in 10 children treated with propranolol, needed additional treatment with the same drug. The gel with the drug timolol helps to cure tumors in six out of 10 young patients.
Among the side effects of this treatment - diarrhea, nausea, low blood pressure, heart rate deceleration, low blood sugar.
5. Corticosteroids. For the treatment of children who do not respond to treatment with beta-blockers, corticosteroids are used - methylprednisolone, prednisolone, triamcinolone. Among the side effects: increased appetite, weight gain, fluid retention, high blood pressure.
Questions to ask before hemangioma in Israel
- Can hemangioma my child to go alone and how this may take time?
- What are the problems with the baby's health may occur if you do not start treatment?
- What cosmetic defects may remain after treatment?
- What method of treatment may be the best in our case?
- What are the short- and long-term side effects of the chosen method of treatment may occur?
- How many sessions of laser treatment (cryodestruction) may be necessary for my child?
- I need surgery for my child?
- What are the possible benefits and risks of the operation?
the best doctors
Lidar Zvi - a a leading neurosurgeon with a worldwide reputation, specializing in minimally invasive surgery the spine. According to Forbes magazine in 2016 Zvi Lidar is among the five best doctors of Israel. Refresher courses in the United States and Japan . The doctor is a member of the Association of doctors-neurosurgeons of Israel and America. For achievements in the field of medicine Zvi Lidar marked by prestigious awards and prizes.
Merimsky ofer - professor, oncologist with more than 30 years of experience. It specializes in the treatment of all types of sarcomas. Is a recognized authority in the world. Professor takes a comprehensive approach to the treatment of the disease, he obliged the lives of thousands of patients from different countries.
Knoller Nachshon - spinal Surgeon is with 25 years of experience. He is the author of the latest methods of treatment of traumatic brain and spinal injuries. Is the Israel Association of Neurological Surgeons.